(To see video in full screen mode, click on the play button then on the icon in the bottom right of the video window.)
We are happy to announce that our 2013 contests (there's three of them) are open. The contests and the contest banquet is one of the highlights of BRMCWC year. Last year was the best yet and we're hoping 2013 will be even better.
Below are guidelines for this year's contest. Be sure to take a good look at them. We've changed a few small things.
This material will also be posted on a contest page today for future reference.
Also, most of the fees collected for the contest go to our Scholarship Fund.
Okay, the BR2013 leadership team is ready. Amaze us!
Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference Contests Rules and Guidelines
Welcome to our BRMCWC contest. A few of the rules have changed slightly, so be sure to read the following carefully.
We have three contests: 1) Unpublished Writers, 2) Director's Choice, and 3) The Selah Book of the Year Awards.
Here are details for the 2013 Christian Writers Contest and Manuscript Critiques
BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS CHRISTIAN WRITERS CONFERENCE CONTEST for UNPUBLISHED WRITERS
Note: You must be registered for the entire conference in order to compete in this contest.
FEE: $25 for each submission.
SUBMISSION: When e-mailing your CONTEST ENTRY, please place in the subject line: BRMCWC CONTEST ENTRY and e-mail to PenNhnd@gmail.com. Contests are separate from the critique service. You may enter a copy of the same manuscript for critique (please see our critique page). Only contest entries are to be e-mailed to Eva Marie Everson. Please mail your $25 check payable to "Gansky Communications" with “BRMCWC contest” in the “for” line to Alton Gansky, 4721 W. Princeton Avenue, Fresno, CA 93722.
CONTEST GUIDELINES & RULES:
If you have been paid for your writing in any publication category, then you are ineligible for this contest in that category. (For example, if a publication paid you for a devotion, then you may not enter the contest in the devotion category, but you may enter in a different category.)
*A note to self-published book authors: If you have published independently then you are now eligible for our new Director’s Choice Contest for book of the year by a conferee. Please see the Director’s Choice Contest below.
You may enter in more than one category, but we accept only one entry per category. Deadline for entries is April 20, 2013.
Submit a cover page labeled BRMCWC CONTEST ENTRY and include your name, address, category, and title of entry.
Entries should be sent as e-mail attachments to email@example.com. EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY SUBMIT TO DIFFERENT CATAGORIES, PLEASE SEND ONLY ONE ATTACHMENT PER E-MAIL.
A word about formatting: With the exception of poetry, children’s picture books, and scripts, submissions should be double spaced, presented in a 12 pt serif font (like Times New Roman or similar) and have one inch margins. Scripts and plays should be submitted in standard film or A/V format.
- Articles – for print: (non-fiction, true events, or experiences) – approx. 1000-3000 words.
- Articles – for Web: (non-fiction, true events, or experiences) – no more than 700 words.
- Devotions: (limit of three - no longer than two pages each, double spaced).
- Church Dramas – Plays/Skits: Submit a two-line synopsis (stating theme and focus of script, and entire script (see below for screenplays and teleplays).
- Non-fiction books: (true life stories, inspirational guidelines, motivational, encouragement, to-do, etc.) – Submit a two-three page outline and first 30 pages – may include introduction – double-space all pages.
- Novellas: (fiction stories ranging from 20,000-30,000 words) – Submit a two-three page synopsis and first pages, not to exceed 20 double spaced pages.
- Novels: (fiction stories ranging from 45,000 – approx. 100,0000 words) – Submit a two-three page synopsis and first pages, not to exceed 40 pages (if prologue submitted, it’s part of the 40 pages) – double-space all pages. Please state the genre on the coversheet.
- Poetry: (three poems or three pages is one entry).
- Short Stories: – approx. 1000-3000 words.
- Bible Studies (book length): Submit outline and first 30 pages, double-spaced.
- Novels for Young Adult: same as “novels” above.
- Nonfiction for Young Adult: same as nonfiction above
- Flash Fiction: Fiction less that 500 words.
- Children’s Chapter Book: Submit short summary and 20 pages.
- Children’s Picture Book: Submit entire work.
- Middle Grade novels: Submit first 15 pages.
- Blogs: Submit your blog address and your blog’s focus. (Note: Your blog must have been in existence for at least 4 weeks before your submission and must be an active blog that is update at least once a week.
BRMCWC offers awards of First, Second, Third. All First Place winning entries in each category will be judged for the AWARD OF EXCELLENCE. The highest award winner will receive a plaque plus $200 scholarship toward the 2014 BRMCWC conference.
CRITIQUES WILL NOT BE GIVEN ON CONTEST ENTRIES. Those wishing a critique should submit to our critique opportunity (see 2013 Critique page).
CONTEST CHECK LIST:
- E-mail your CONTEST ENTRIES to Eva Marie Everson: PenNhnd@gmail.com with “BRMCWC Contest Entry” in the subject field.
- Include a cover page labeled BRMCWC CONTEST ENTRY and include your name, address, category, and title of entry. Again, please send only one attachment per e-mail.
- Mail CONTEST ENTRY FEE ($25 for each entry) to Eva Marie Everson, 530 Lake Kathryn Circle, Casselberry, FL. 32707 with “BRMCWC contest” in the check’s memo line. Along with the check include a note with your name, title of entry, category in which you’re entering, and your email address.
The Director’s Choice Contest for Best Book by a Conferee
The Director’s Choice Contest is a contest meant to acknowledge the success of our conferees in the world of publishing.
- Who is eligible?
- Any BRMCWC conferee who has attended any of our previous conferences.
- Eligibility is NOT limited to just those from the previous year.
- The book must have been published between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012.
- The book may be fiction or nonfiction.
- Are independently published books eligible? Yes. The world of publishing has changed greatly over the last few years. One are that has changed is the wave of independently published books. Although this is not new--Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe, Carl Sandburg, and many other well-known writers self-published--it has reached the mainstream with many traditionally published authors choosing to publish independently.
- Is there a submission fee? Yes. As with the general contest, there is a $25 fee for each entry.
- Mail CONTEST ENTRY FEE to Alton Gansky, Gansky Communications, 4721 W. Princeton Avenue, Fresno, CA 93722 with “BRMCWC contest” in the check’s memo line.
- Along with the check include a note with your name, title of entry, nature of the book (nonfiction, fiction, etc), and your email address.
- ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY APRIL 1, 2013.
- What else should I submit? A copy of the printed book (not the manuscript). Please use the address above.
The BRMCWC Selah Book of the Year Award
GUIDELINES AND FEES
Open to published authors, whose books were published in 2012 with both traditional and nontraditional publishers.
If a book is co-authored, both authors are required to sign the entry form.
One book with forms and fees must be received before the cutoff date of April 1. 2013.
All contest entries, fees, and books must be received by the contest coordinator by April 1, 2013.
The $30 fee per title entered may be paid via money order or check made out to Gansky Communications, c/o Eva Marie Everson, 530 Lake Kathryn Circle, Casselberry, FL 32707. Please do not send cash.
There are no refunds and books cannot be returned.
The author or author’s agent/publisher shall select the appropriate category for entering the work.
One category per title, please.
Entries in the First Novel category are limited to authors who have not previously published a fiction title.
There is no limit to the number of eligible books an author may enter in each category.
Entrants shall understand and agree that all scores are final once returned from the judge and entered into the database. Scores are assessed by individual judges who score according to an established guideline/score sheet.
For more information please e-mail Eva Marie at PenNhnd@gmail.com.
- Speculative (Science Fiction, Fantasy, Allegorical)
Inspiration & Gift
- Ya Fiction
- YA Nonfiction
From these winners the “BOOK OF THE YEAR” will be chosen.
January 7, 2013- Contest officially opens.
April 1, 2013 - ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED by the contest coordinator (see entry form). Entries must have an entry form, entry fee, and one copies of the entered book.
April 30, 2013 - Judge’s score sheets due to contest coordinator.
May 22, 2013- Winners announced at the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference Awards Banquet. Winners need not be present to win.