We are happy to announce that our 2015 contests are open. The contests and the contest banquet are one of the highlights of BRMCWC. Every year gets better than previous years and we know this year will be no exception.
Below are guidelines for this coming year’s contest. Be sure to read them carefully as there have been a few changes.
Also, please note that most of the fees collected for the contest go to our Scholarship Fund. This enables those with great talent but who are financially strapped for whatever reason to attend the conference at a reduced price. When you enter the contest, you are sowing seeds you may never see harvested … but God knows. You are a part of a winning team just by entering.
Ready? Set? Amaze us!
Eva Marie Everson
BRMCWC Contests Director
BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS
CHRISTIAN WRITERS CONFERENCE
CONTESTS RULES AND GUIDELINES
Welcome to our BRMCWC contests. A few rules have changed, so be sure to read the following carefully.
We have 3 contests:
1) Unpublished Writers,
2) Director’s Choice, and
3) The Selah Book of the Year Awards.
Please find below the 2015 Contest Rules:
BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS CWC
UNPUBLISHED WRITERS CONTEST
- You must be registered for the entire conference in order to compete.
- There is a $30 entry fee for each submission. You may, however, make one payment for multiple entries.
- When e-mailing your contest entry, please place in the subject line: BRMCWC CONTEST ENTRY/[CATEGORY HERE]
- When e-mailing your contest entry, if you are sending multiple entries, send them in separate e-mails. E-mails with multiple entries will be returned.
- E-mail address for entries: BlueRidgeCWC@aol.com.
- Send entry fee by check or money order (please, no cash) made payable to: Gansky Communications. Send check to: Alton Gansky, 4721 W. Princeton Avenue, Fresno, CA 93722 with “BRMCWC Unpublished Contest” in the subject line along with genre you are entering.
- If you have been paid for your writing in any publication category, then you are ineligible for this contest in that category. (For example, if a publication paid you for a devotion, then you may not enter the contest in the devotion category, but you may enter in a different category.)
- You may enter in more than one category but we accept only one entry per category.
- Deadline for entries is April 10, 2015.
- Formatting: With the exception of poetry, children’s picture books, and scripts, submissions should be double-spaced, presented in a 12-pt. serif font (such as Times New Roman) and have one inch margins. Scripts ad plays should be submitted in standard film or A/V format.
- Critiques will not be given on contest entries.
- Contest entries will not be returned.
- Categories and their Details:
a. Articles (For Print)—nonfiction, true events or experiences. Approx 1000-3000 words.
b. Articles (For Web)—nonfiction, true events or experiences. No more than 700 words.
c. Devotions—limit of 3, no longer than two pages each, double-spaced.
d. Nonfiction Books—True life stories, inspirational guidelines, motivational, encouragement, etc. Submit a two to three page outline and the first 30 pages, which may include the introduction. Double space all pages.
e. Novellas—Fiction ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 words. Submit a two to three page synopsis and first pages, not to exceed 20 double-spaced pages.
f. Novels—fiction ranging from 45,000 to 100,000 words. Submit a two to three page synopsis and first pages, not to exceed 40 pages (if prologue submitted, it is a part of the 40 pages). Double space all pages. Please state the genre on the coversheet. Genres include:
- Contemporary Women’s
g. Poetry—three poems or three pages equals one entry.
h. Short Stories—approximately 1000-3000 words.
i. Bible Studies (book length)—submit outline and first 30 pages, double-spaced. (updated 12/17/14)
j. YA Novels—See Novels (above)
k. YA Nonfiction—See Nonfiction (above)
l. Flash Fiction—Fiction (a complete story) of less than 1000 words.
m. Children’s Chapter Book—Submit short summary and 20 pages.
n. Children’s Picture Book—Submit entire work.
o. Middle Grade Novels—Submit 1-page synopsis and first 15 pages.
p. Blogs—Submit your blog address and your blog’s focus. Your blog must have been in existence at least four weeks prior to submission and must be an active blog that is updated at least once a week.
q. Film and Teleplay Script—Submit summary and first 30 pages of script in script format.
- E-mail contest entry to Eva Marie Everson BlueRidgeCWC@aol.com. (Updated 12-18-14)
- Put BRMCWC CONTEST ENTRY/GENRE in the subject line. (Sample: BRMCWC Contest Entry/Novels/Romance)
- Include a cover page labeled BRMCWC UNPUBLISHED CONTEST ENTRY and include your:
- Category with subgenre if applicable
- Title of Entry
- Do not attach more than one entry per e-mail.
- Mail check for $30 per entry made payable to Gansky Communications, 4721 W. Princeton Ave, Fresno, CA, 93722. State which contest the check is for in the FOR space at the bottom of your check.
THE DIRECTOR’S CHOICE AWARD
The Director’s Choice Award is given to a published writer who is a past or current conferee. You’ve worked hard and it is our pleasure to recognize your achievement.
Rules and Guidelines:
- Any past or current conferee published within the past twelve months, whether via traditional publishing or by independent publishing, is eligible.
- Eligibility is not limited to attendance from the previous year. Any past conferee may enter.
- Books entered must have been published between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014.
- Books may be either fiction or nonfiction.
- Each entry must include an entry fee of $30 made payable to Gansky Communications. Write: DC Award in the FOR line along with the title of your work and the genre. Example: DC Award, Wounds, Fiction.
- Mail a copy of your book along with the check to Alton Gansky, 4721 W. Princeton Avenue, Fresno, CA 93722
- Entries must be received by April 1, 2015 (no foolin’).
THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS
SELAH BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD
Guidelines and Fees:
- The Selah Awards are open to published authors whose books were published between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 with either traditional and nontraditional publishers.
- If the book is co-authored, both authors must sign the entry form.
- Two books per title with entry fee must be received before April 1, 2014. Contest opens January 1, 2015.
- Entry fees of $40 per entry must be paid via money order or check made payable to Gansky Communications, c/o Eva Marie Everson, 530 Lake Kathryn Circle, Casselberry, FL 32707. Do not send cash.
- There are no refunds. Books will not be returned.
- The author or author’s agent or publisher shall select the appropriate category for the work.
- One category per title.
- Entries in “First Novel” are limited to authors who have not previously published a fiction title.
- There is no limit to the number of eligible titles an author may enter in each category.
- All scores are final once returned from the judge and entered into the database. Scores accessed by individual judges (two per book) who score according to an established and upgraded guideline/score sheet.
- Categories are:
- First Novel (may not be entered in any of the subcategories) (Updated 12-29-14)
- Bible Studies
- Children’s Picture Book
- Children’s (anything between picture book and middle grade books)
- Christian Life
- Contemporary Romance
- Historical Romance
- Contemporary Women’s
- General, Christian/church topic (from history to theology to biography, etc)
- Bible Studies
Selah Entry Forms
Download CONTEST RULES AG (Word)
Copy and Print:
Blue Ridge Mountains CWC 2015 Selah Award Entry Form
Deadline: April 1, 2015
- Eligible books must have a 2014 copyright date
- Entry must adhere to all guidelines explained in “Guidelines and Fees”
- Entry must be accompanied by application payment
Agent (if applicable):
Category: (See list on contest page)
Genre (For Fiction):
Circle One: Author Agent Publisher/Editor
Questions: E-mail Eva Marie Everson @BlueRidgeCWC@aol.com